This is a keeper. I don't know about you, but theres days where I'm just thinking about rich, moist, soft delectable chocolate cakes- maybe because I wasn't contented with my hard rock ones, but boy am I glad I finally found this recipe.
Ladies, this is one for PMS. Really. Yeah. Its that day when u need something sweet, something oozing with flavour and can gobble down within seconds.
Don't compare this to sponges- its just as simple as a rich and soft chocolate cake. Imagine it served with cream, ice cream even..or a hot coffee.
I just had two slices...but I know you wouldn't hold that against me.
French Chocolate Cake
adapted from here.
1/4 cup brown sugar
300g dark chocolate couverture, chopped
125g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
1/4 cup plain flour
pinch of baking soda
1 Tsp instant coffee
To dust: Brown Sugar, Cocoa, Butter
1. Brush 20cm cake pan with softened butter and dust with sugar.
2. Preheat oven to 160 Celcius.
3. Melt sugar, chocolate, butter and instant coffee over double boiler. Making sure its smooth.
4. Take off heat, add vanilla essence.
5. Beat in egg yolks one at a time until even.
6. Add in plain flour and baking soda.
7. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and fluffy.
8. Carefully mix egg whites with chocolate mixture and place in tin.
9. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
10. Dust with cocoa powder.