It didn't turn out that way [at all!]. So I presented him chocolate mousse instead, Lindt Chocolate Mousse to be exact- it makes me feel that little bit better. Unlike the cake, it turned out great.
If you want to make a great Chocolate mousse here goes:
(recipe from Lindt)
200g Lindt Dessert 70% Cocoa Specialty Cooking Chocolate
200g Double Cream
5 eggs- separated
Pinch of Salt
1. Break up chocolate and gently melt over a water bath, set aside.
2. Mis egg yolks and one third of the sugar until pale.
3. In a separate bowl, whip cream until ribbon stage.
4. In a clean, dry bowl make a meringue with the egg whites, remaining sugar and salt.
5. Combine a small amount of melted chocolate with the egg yolks to warm them slightly and then add the rest of the chocolate to the yolks and mix.
6. Whisk cream into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
7. Gently fold in meringue.
8. Pour mousse into a clean bowl/serving bowls, cover with cling film and allow to set in the firdge for approximately 4 hours. Serve chilled.
Err..if you're ever wondering, this is what the supposed cake looked like. I'm calling it my first and last 'Death By Chocolate' cake. Looks like that, literally. Its going in the trash.