Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rat Rice Noodles


Before you come down on me with some Greenpeace treaty - let me explain!

Where I come from, there's a round type of rice noodle that is literally called 'Rat Poop Noodle'. No, it doesn't involve harming animals of any kind- it's just named so because the original versions were ... well, shaped like rat poop. The 'rat poop' noodle is simply known lau su fen/lou shi fun in Chinese dialects.

H has a enormous attachment to these noodles. Its what he grew up with for breakfast nearly every week. When I asked him what he missed from our home town, he only told me he missed lau su fen. In a desperate attempt to make him feel more at home [and I believe my nesting instincts came hard too], I made the rice noodles from scratch.

Here's my take.

Lau Su Fen/ Lou Shi Fun

2 Cups Rice Flour
2 Tablespoon Tapioca Flour
Pinch of Salt
550ml boiling water

1. Steam rice flour for 1 hour.
2. Add tapioca flour, salt and boiling water and stir until smooth.
3. Allow to cool and knead until smooth ball forms.
4. Spread additional tapioca flour on hands/surface.
5. Take pea sized amount of dough and roll between fingers until its elongated in shape. Repeat with all of dough.
6. Lightly oil steamer tray and steam noodles for approximately 8 minutes or until noodles are cooked. [I steamed mine in batches]
7. Cook noodles immediately with condiments to liking or wait for noodles to cool and store in fridge.

I was inspired by a particular hawker style of cooking rice noodles from my home town- it's what H hearts. So hence, mine was just boiled and tossed with some basic ingredients. Other methods of cooking include stir frying or having it with dark sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment