So my Lemon Cheesecake doesn't look very lemony. But I was really trying to spruce it up for H's birthday. Everytime I ask H what cake would he like, I just about get the same old 'Chilled Lemon Cheesecake' answer. Makes it easy for me though, this is a no bake cake! Super easy and just needs a few hours in the fridge.
So I planned H's cake way before, and knew I wanted to garnish it with chocolate, strawberries and lychees. I thought the salty cheese, sourish notes from strawberries and lemons combined with tropical lashings of lychees dolloped with sweet-bitter chocolate would combine really well- that, or a potential stomach disaster. But I chose to believe in the first option- and went for it.
Chilled Lemon Cheesecake [minus the garnishings]
110g Digestive Biscuits
1. Crush biscuits in a zip lock bag or food processort until fine.
2. Melt butter in microwave/ in a pan.
3. Combine melted butter and biscuits together and compress in a 8" cheesecake tin. Refrigerate for atleast 15 mins.
350g (1 1/2 blocks) Softened Creamed Cheese (Preferably Philadelphia brand as it holds better.)
75g Castor Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon (Try getting lemons from Australia/USA -Western Countries, as Asian lemons tend to have a really bitter taste to them)
Juice of 1 large Lemon
250g Cream (Preferably Anchor brand)
1 tsp Gelatin Powder
2 Tsp Hot Water
1. Beat cream cheese, castor sugar, zest of lemon and lemon juice together until soft and creamy.
2. Mix gelatin powder and hot water together until fully dissolved. Add into cream cheese mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold into cheese mixture until even.
4. Place filling onto base and let it set for atleast 2-3 hours. Preferably overnight.