Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coffee Agar-Agar


Some friends came over for afternoon tea the other day and I just wanted to make something simple. Ok, that ..and I wasn't in my baking aura, nor was I willing to part with my newly cleaned oven. 


So enter...agar-gar. I think agar-agar is such a easy Asian dessert thats also really versatile. Those not very familiar with this- its basically a jelly-gelatine type texture. Just harder. It's tasteless, so just about anything goes.


I would give you the exact recipe, except...errr...I don't really measure. I just throw things in by taste. But if you'd like a go anyway..here's what I used:


2 Sachets instant coffee powder (Super brand), approximately 350-400ml coconut milk, handful agar-agar, a few cups of water, sugar to taste. 


Throw everything in a pot and cook for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool.


Easy huh? And when it cools, it naturally forms the clear layer and milky layer where the coconut milk has separated from the liquid. 


Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment