Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Pomfret & Okras

When I lived in Kuala Lumpur I often did ots and didnt get back 'till pretty late. By the time I got back to my apartment, I would normally be famished, grumpy, irritable and wanted a meal. Fast. I didnt want to have a big clean up afterwards. I just wanted a simple meal..one that would somewhat remind me of home because I really missed my family.


My mum has always been a good cook. In my mind, she could do anything. She mastered the art of steaming fish. It was always done so precisely because my dad loved eating fish. In fact, at one point in life, we had fish everyday.


Somehow quite naturally in KL, I began buying fish whenever I went to the wet markets. I love eating pomfrets. Their meat is so soft and fragrantly sweet. Obviously, I thought of the fastest way to cook it too. I had this magic rice cooker [I call it so because I really did do alot of 'for one' meals in that rice cooker]


I would place my rice on the bottom level and steam my veggies and fish above. It suited me perfectly. I was living alone. I would chuck everything in the rice cooker and by the time I finished my shower, the meal was cooked. I loved it. It was one of the easiest and fastest things I could possibly do that wasnt too shabby.


So last night I wanted to do something fast. The Hubby and I were planning to go out later for a mid week coffee. Adding to the fact I missed the way my mum does fish. I went to get some White Pomfret and had some okras and long beans at home. I did a sauce to go with the fish [I realised my house didnt have a fish soya sauce and had to cook my own]..and did a Kewbie Mayonaise vegie dish that I also somehow thought of and loved in KL.


White Pomfret with Garlic & Ginger Sauce


2x 250g Pomfret
6 Tbsp Light Soya Sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt (or normal salt)
3 cloves garlic, sliced/chopped finely
1 thumbsize ginger, sliced/chopped finely
1. Rub sea salt all over pomfret and steam for 10-12 minutes.
2. In a wok, saute garlic and ginger until fragrant. Turn off heat and quickly add soya sauce and sugar. Let the heat of the wok melt the sugar.
3. When the fish is cooked, pour the sauce over pomfret. Serve.
Okra & Long beans garnished with Kewbie Mayo & Dried Anchovies.


Okra
Long Bean -or any beans of your liking
Kewbie Mayonaise -Japanese Mayo
Small Sized Anchovies "Gung Yi Jai"

1. In boiling water, boil okra and long beans until cooked. When slightly cooler, cut/chop the heads off the okra and the heads & ends of the long bean. Cut into bite size pieces.
2. In a microwave safe plate, spread the anchovies evenly and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high.
3. Place the beans on a plate, spread with kewbie mayonaise to your liking and garnish with anchovies. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment